Florida Literacy Week 2019 is January 28 – February 1.
Besides providing positive support when speaking with your child about their individual reading abilities and skills, there are many other things you can do to help your child with reading. To get you started, here are 5 tips to help your child become a strong reader and also enjoy reading:
- Set the stage: Model good reading habits by reading to or alongside your child.
- Schedule time to read: Establish a daily reading routine.
- Talk about what you read: Encourage reading, writing and discussions among family members.
- Variety: Encourage your child to read from different genres (fiction, historical fiction, folk/fairy tales, poetry, etc.), and to read new and challenging books, articles and magazines.
- Make use of area resources: Visit your local public library and help your child get a library card of their very own.